"Iron Man 2" will have been in theaters for almost a month when Free Comic Book Day rolls around on June 6, 2010, and Iron Man swag will be muscling its way into four separate releases that day.
An "Iron Man/Thor" book, another comic titled "Iron Man: Supernova," a War Machine Heroclix figure, and packs of "Iron Man 2" trading cards all appear on the official FCBD lineup released by Diamond. That's all in addition to "War of the Supermen" #0, Kevin Smith's "Green Hornet" #1 from Dynamite Entertainment and a double-sided "Mouseguard/Fraggle Rock" flip-book from Archaia.
Read on for some suggestions regarding the next batch of Free Comic Book Day comics and the complete FCBD 2010 checklist.
You might be lucky enough to frequent a comics shop with no limits on the number of FCBD releases its customers can grab, but if you find yourself with a three-comic cap, I recommend reaching for Matt Fraction and John Romita's "Iron Man/Thor," James Robinson's "War of the Supermen" kickoff, and "Mouseguard/Fraggle Rock." If you can pocket a few more, Drawn & Quarterly's "YOW! The John Stanley Library" looks great, "The Green Hornet" will be a can't-miss for Smith fans, and BOOM's Disney/Pixar comics thus far have been the Nintendo Wii of family-friendly releases — so give "Toy Story" a look.
Smith's "Green Hornet" will also be looking to grab some movie-buzz thunder, since the comic is based on a script Smith originally submitted for a "Green Hornet" movie — though Seth Rogen eventually scripted his own take on the character for the December 2010 film.
Dark Horse's reintroduction of Doctor Solar and Magnus, Robot Fighter could be be a wild-card success as well, bringing back Jim Shooter and teaming him with former "X-Factor" artist Dennis Calero.
Here's the official Free Comic Book Day 2010 announcement and lineup, and you can get more information about the event at the FCBD website: www.freecomicbookday.com. And make sure to let us know what you plan to pick up this year in the comment section below or on Twitter!
(BALTIMORE, MD) — (December 23, 2009) — From cool kids comics to the greatest super-hero fare, from classic reprints to the latest stories, it’s a wide spectrum of comics covered in the Gold and Silver comic books available for Free Comic Book Day 2010!
The Free Comic Book Day (FCBD) Committee is pleased to announce the Gold and Silver Sponsors and their comic books for FCBD 2010, which will be held Saturday, May 1, 2010. Complete descriptions of all thirty-three FCBD titles can be found online now at www.freecomicbookday.com, and in the January issue of Diamond Comic Distributors’ PREVIEWS catalog, available on January 6th, 2010.
Selected by retailers who serve on the FCBD Committee, this year’s roster of Gold and Silver Sponsors and their books include a comic book for everyone’s tastes:
Gold Comic Books
• Ape Entertainment: Kizoic Presents: Shrek and the Penguins of Madagascar
• Archie Comics: Archie's Summer Splash!
• Archaia Entertainment: Mouse Guard/Fraggle Rock Flip Book
• BOOM! Studios: Toy Story
• Dark Horse Comics: Doctor Solar/Magnus: Robot Fighter
• DC Comics: War of the Supermen #0
• Drawn & Quarterly: YOW! The John Stanley Library
• IDW Publishing: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #155-1/2
• Image Comics: Fractured Fables
• Marvel Comics: Iron Man/Thor
Silver Comic Books
• Archie Comics: Sonic The Hedgehog: Hide & Seek & Destroy!
• Aspen MLT: Worlds of Aspen
• Asylum Press: Fearless Dawn/Asylum Press Sampler
• Bluewater Productions: S.E. Hinton's/Fame
• Bongo Comics: Bongo Comics Free For All
• BOOM! Studios: Irredeemable #1
• DC Comics: DC Kids Mega Sampler
• Del Rey Comics: Del Rey Showcase
• Dynamite Entertainment: Green Hornet #1
• Fantagraphics Books: Weathercraft: A Frank Comic
• Gemstone Publishing: The Overstreet Guide to Collecting Comics
• IDW Publishing: Library of American Comics #0
• Maerkle Press: Love and Capes #13
• Marvel Comics: Iron Man:Supernova
• New England Comics: The Tick #1 Special Edition
• Oni Press: Oni Press Free-For-All
• Oni Press: Sixth Gun #1
• Radical Publishing: Radical: Bigger Books! Bigger Value!
• Red 5 Comics: Atomic Robo and Friends
• Storm Lion: Freedom Formula: Speed Metal Overtures
• Th3rd World Studios: Stuff of Legend/Mortal Instruments
• Top Shelf Productions: Owly & Friends
• Top Cow Productions: Artifacts: First Look
• Upper Deck: Upper Deck Marvel TCG Promo Pack
• NECA/WizKids: Marvel Heroclix: War Machine Figure