The follow-up to director Zack Snyder's ground-breaking "300" has been in title limbo pretty much since its inception. Originally called "Xerxes," suggesting a heavy emphasis on the Persian king played in the first film by "Lost" actor Rodrigo Santoro, the "300" sequel eventually went by the name "Battle of Artemesia," referring to a new character played by former Bond girl Eva Green.
Now, the film has landed upon yet another new, presumably final title: "300: Rise of an Empire." It's a clearer title to be sure, one that seemingly refers to Xerxes' war effort to spread his influence in Sparta, Athens and beyond. We'll certainly find out more as the weeks and months progress, as the movie is slated to come out next year.
We had already heard she was in, and now it's official: Rosario Dawson is returning to Basin City.
The "Sin City" actress confirmed to E! Online that she will indeed be reprising her role as Gail, leader of a gang of warrior-prostitutes, for the upcoming sequel, "A Dame to Kill For," hitting theaters on October 4, 2013.
"It's in! It's happening," she said briefly, adding, "Can't tell you nothing."
Robert Rodriguez just wrapped on "Machete Kills," which means it's time for the actors involved in "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For" to start prepping for their roles. That's why Jessica Alba has gone Nancy Callahan-blonde and has reentered the shooting range to make sure she's ready for the upcoming comic book sequel.
Alba has been chronicling her transition back to the Frank Miller character on her Twitter account over the past few days. So far that's mostly meant saying goodbye to her brown locks.
"Bye bye brown hair," Alba tweeted, along with a mid-color picture and the final product. "She got roots that Nancy #sincity2"
One of the more exciting announcements to come from Comic-Con this year was also one of the least expected ones: that Guillermo del Toro, one of the most talented (not to mention busiest) filmmakers in the game, was going to try to figure out a way to make "Hellboy 3" a reality. Fans have been clamoring for another round with Big Red since the credits rolled on "The Golden Army," so the excitement over del Toro's remarks was understandably high.
But cool your expectations a bit. Speaking with MTV News, Ron Perlman said that he hasn't heard anything further regarding another "Hellboy" movie since what del Toro said at Comic-Con.
If you were still holding out hope that Gerard Butler might hit the battlefields of "300" once more, this time crying out "This, is, Artemisia!," then it's time to let go of those wishes and accept reality: King Leonidas is really and truly gone.
In a recent interview with MTV News, Butler confirmed that he will have nothing to do with "300: Battle of Artemisia," scheduled to hit theaters in August 2013.
"Oh yeah, I'm not doing it," he said. "They're filming [the '300' sequel] right now. I wish them the best, but it didn't [work out]. It wasn't really my thing."
Michael Madsen is still waiting on the call for "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For," but one of the other, more recognizable residents of Basin City is getting ready for another round of pulp violence — an impressive feat, considering this guy didn't even survive the first film!
Deadline reports that Mickey Rourke is officially in negotiations to return for the "Sin City" sequel, once again playing Marv, the ugly brute with a soft spot for dames. But it's not his dame he's willing to kill for come his return to "Sin City." In the "Dame" source material (which takes place before Marv's death in the "Sin City" mythos), Marv assists Dwight McCarthy in his quest to save Ava Lord — a mission that ends very differently than either one of them imagined.
Considering that Michael Madsen’s bespectacled detective Bob lives to see another day in the wicked world of “Sin City,” one would assume that he would appear in the highly-anticipated (very much still in-the-works) sequel to Robert Rodriguez’s 2005 film, titled "Sin City: A Dame to Kill For."
But, if that is the case, a casting director should call up Madsen. He hasn’t heard a peep about his role or the future in the franchise.
“Well that’s kind of a mystery because there's a whole bunch of stuff all over the internet that I’m doing a sequel and I certainly didn’t put that stuff on there, so I don’t know who did,” he explained to MTV News. “But, wherever that came from, whoever generated that information, must be thinking that I’m doing that — but I can’t seem to get an answer out of anybody.”
Ron Perlman's recent transformation into Hellboy has fueled the fires of hell inside of Guillermo del Toro's heart.
The man who brought the Dark Horse icon to the big-screen is now inspired and ready to try for a third film, he told Entertainment Weekly in a recent interview. Del Toro as well as Perlman are now both on record saying they're committed to figuring out how to make the much begged-for "Hellboy 3" a reality.
"I can say publicly that now we are together in trying [to do 'Hellboy 3']," the "Pacific Rim" director told EW. Perlman, who was with del Toro during the interview, cosigned del Toro's declaration.
by Meg Malone
His name may be Hellboy, but he showed the world he has the heart of an angel recently when he made one boy's dream come true.
After being contacted by the Make-A-Wish Foundation, special effects company Spectral Motion and Hellboy himself (also known as actor Ron Perlman) partnered up to make sure a young boy's wish to meet and become Hellboy became a reality.
by Tami Katzoff
Usually, when a beloved TV series ends, you mourn a little bit and move on. But if it’s a Joss Whedon show, there’s always reason to hope. Maybe a big Hollywood studio will make the show into a feature film. Or perhaps the series will live on in comic book form.
Back in 2007, just before “Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8” began its run, Whedon spoke with MTV News about his decision to move the Buffy story forward with Dark Horse Comics. “I just started thinking about it,” he said. “There’s no reason why I can’t continue the story here, and then my brain exploded and I started having all these ideas and grand plans and no free time whatsoever.”
Though he’d had a relationship with Dark Horse for several years, with Season 8 he was entering new territory. “Walking between the show and the comic book is very difficult,” Whedon said. “You want to capture essence of the show, but you do want to work on a more epic scale.”