We here at MTV are always trying to keep our eyes peeled for the next big thing when it comes to movies -- even if it’s based on cultish material that much of the world hasn’t been turned onto yet. Most recently, we’ve been all over “Twilight” for this very reason – and looking to the future, we’re keeping a close eye on projects like “Magdalena.”
Over at Splash Page, we ran a whole week of news about the 2010 film. And when I caught up with super-producer Gale Ann Hurd recently, I wanted to make sure we got the latest.
“We’re in the early script phase at the moment,” explained Hurd, mastermind behind the “Terminator” and “Hulk” franchises. “There should be some [casting announcements] within the next month and a half on this.” Read More...
Alrighty, true believers -- it's been yet another spectacular, fantastic and uncanny week in comic movie news. Here's a recap of some of the big stories we delivered:
- We kicked-off "Magdalena Week" here at Splash Page with actress and upcoming "Magdalena" film star, Jenna Dewan! Among the topics of conversation were super-heroine fashion, the possibilities of a Witchblade cameo, and the future of a "Magdalena" film franchise.
- Guy Pierce is interested in playing The Riddler...but under one condition.
- Brad Meltzer kicked off his campaign to save the "Superman House," and we showed off some beautiful exclusive art from the charity auction.
- Stan The Man wants to see a Dr. Strange movie, and who are we to deny him?
- Nic Cage had plenty to say in terms of his upcoming comic book flicks, first about the over-the-top violence in "Kick-Ass"...
- ...and then the return of "Ghost Rider" to the big screen.
- We showed off an exclusive preview of DC/WildStorm's "Fringe" tie-in comic, and spoke with the cast and crew about the highly-anticipated TV series.
- We spoke with "Buckaroo Banzai" creator Earl Mac Rauch about his slate of "Buckaroo Banzai" comics.
- Dark Horse Comics gave us an exclusive preview of their "My Name is Bruce" comic book tie-in.
- And we welcomed Splash Page co-editor Rick Marshall to the fold...hope he survives the experience!
Thanks for stopping by, everyone! We'll see you next week!
(Welcome to “Magdalena Week” on Splash Page, where we’re bringing you exclusive news on the upcoming comic flick. Don’t miss our previous posts on the background of the character and film, Jenna Dewan’s sexy superhero costume, and whether or not Witchblade will make a cameo appearance!)
On Tuesday, we brought you news regarding the basic plot of “Magdalena,” the new comic adaptation starring Jenna Dewan as the titular heroine. On Wednesday, we told you not get your hopes up about an ultra-revealing costume. Yesterday, we explored whether or not the film would have comic cross-overs.
If we spend this much time talking about the first movie, just imagine what we’ll do when it comes time to talk about its sequel.
“They’re going to do more,” Dewan told MTV News of already formulating plans to turn “Magdalena” into a trilogy of films. “We’re working on that now. They intend to do at least a couple of these.” Read More...
(Welcome to "Magdalena Week" on Splash Page, where we're bringing you exclusive news on the upcoming comic flick. Don't miss our previous posts on the background of the character and film, and Jenna Dewan's sexy superhero costume!)
Thanks to summer flicks like “Iron Man” and “The Incredible Hulk,” comic cross-promotion is all the rage, and it’s not just Marvel Studios who are falling over themselves to take it to the max. But one place you won’t see any comic cameos is in “Magdalena,” the upcoming adaptation starring Jenna Dewan, the actress told MTV News.
“I think that maybe that in this first one it’s gonna be based on Patience and her arc and her story,” Dewan said. “I think if we do a second and a third that’ll definitely be an option. I’ve heard it’s possible.” Read More...
Yesterday, Jenna Dewan gave us the scoop on her upcoming comic book adaptation of “Magdalena,” the story of the butt-kicking last scion of Jesus, put on Earth to fight crime and preserve the innocent.
Maybe you hadn’t heard of “Magdalena” before this. Maybe that caused you to look her up elsewhere. Maybe that caused you to find this. It’s a costume that’ll send a million mouths a’drooling. So is the trashy, vampy, very revealing costume going to make its way to the film? Settle down, boys. The answer, unfortunately, is no.
“I think the goal of this movie – we don’t want to do ‘Catwoman.’ I don’t think I’ll be walking the street in a thong and leather chaps,” Dewan said, laughing. “That’s not gonna happen.” Read More...
This week is "Magdalena Week" here at Splash Page. Each day we'll be giving you an exclusive look at "Magdalena," the upcoming big-budget adaptation of the Top Cow comic book starring Jenna Dewan and Luke Goss. Today, learn about the character and where the film will diverge from its source material.
Before Wonder Woman, or Red Sonja, before She-Ra or She-Hulk, one female comic book super hero is going to make it to the big-screen to kick butt and take names, to thwart evil and kill the wicked.
And she’s gonna do it all in Jesus’s name (Amen).
Well, sort of, laughed recently cast Jenna Dewan, the actress set to fill the giant shoes -- and monster lineage -- of Patience, the holy warrior protagonist of the upcoming comic flick “Magdalena.”
Wait, who? Read More...